20 Things I Will Teach My Sons In 2020
1. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down. Have a firm handshake for both men and women and look them in the eyes.
2. Don’t enter a pool by the stairs. Never dive head first into a body of water.
3. Learn how to grill. The man at the grill is helpful and hailed as hero of the BBQ.
4. In a negotiation, never make the first offer. Don’t throw out the first number.
5. Request the late check-out at hotels and leave a tip for the cleaners.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it and don’t hold it over anyone.
7. Return a borrowed car or boat with a full tank of gas. Return borrowed clothes dry cleaned.
8. Play sports with passion and sportsmanship or don’t play at all.
9. Don’t be the person with loud music on the beach. The beach is the vacation, don’t be distracted by all the other activities. Wear sunscreen and reapply.
10. Carry a handkerchief.
11. Write thank you notes.
12. Never be afraid to ask out the best looking person the room.
13. Never turn down a breath mint. If you’ve been offered one, take it. But please don’t chew gum.
14. Thank a veteran when you see one.
15. Keep making new friends. Seek out those needing a friend. Stand up for your friends.
16. Don’t send an email when you’re angry. Don’t grocery shop when you’re hungry.
17. Manners make the man. Mind yours.
18. Give credit. Take the blame. Own your mistakes. Ask for help.
19. Love and protect your siblings. They are the greatest gift I gave you.
20. Be confident but stay humble.
*Adapted from Rules To Teach Your Son